Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Apple Math for How to Make and Apple Pie and See the World

Apple Math for How to Make and Apple Pie and See the World
The last activity we did to go along with How to Make an Apple Pie and see the World was Apple Math!



I started by reviewing simple fractions. I drew apples on blank index cards and then cut one in half and one in quarters.  This way the girls could easily see there are 2 halves in a whole and 4 quarters. 



I also made ten more of these apple cards and taped them to the piano (the girls thought it would make a good apple tree).



From there they took turns collecting the number of apples I told them. Once they had the apples I asked them to give a certain number to their sister and then tell me how many they had (subtraction). I also asked whoever received the apples how many they now had (addition). This was repeated over and over and over, refilling the tree several times. While I'm sure they didn't memorize any of their addition or subtraction tables; I do think it helped to cement the idea of addition and subtraction (what we really needed to work on). 

Need other activities to go with this book; check out these:




Follow along, so you don't miss a post! 

  follow life with moore babies on facebook follow life with moore babies on pinterest follow life with moorebabies on Instagram follow life with moore babies RSS Feed follow life with moore babies through twitter follow life with moore babies through email follow life with moore babies through Google+ follow life with moore babies on stumbleupon

Bottom Ad [Post Page]