Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

How to Create a Taste Safe Rainbow Sensory Bin

How to Create a Taste Safe Rainbow Sensory Bin


A while back I saw this post over at Blog Me Mom about using tapioca pearls for sensory bins; I immediately ordered some, and they sat on my shelf for several months before I got around to using them.

Finally, I decided to make an entirely Edible Rainbow Sensory Bin!


Ingredients for Edible Rainbow Sensory Bin



  • Blue Jello
  • Tapioca Pearls
  • Food Coloring
  • Whipped Topping
  • Container (ours was blue, to look like the sky)


To start with I made the blue jello, and poured it directly into the tub.

While waiting for it to solidify I moved on to the tapioca pearls. These were a totally new experience for me.


When I boiled them, I noticed not many were colored, so I let them sit in a little water and food coloring in the fridge for about an hour. Now that made some vibrant colored tapioca pearls!

Now my jello was jiggly and my tapioca pearls were colored, so I assembled the rainbow. From top to bottom: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and don't forget there's purple too (yeah, I just sang the song too).

I finished the rainbow look with some redi-whip clouds.

And you have an Edible Rainbow Sensory Bin! 


The kids were soooooo excited when they saw the rainbow; I mean, who wouldn't be if you were told you could play with (and eat) that. They dove right in!


One of the first things they asked is if they could eat it! Since it was all edible I told them yes after all taste is a sense too! They liked the jello and redi-whip, but only one was brave enough to try a tapioca pearl, and he spit it out quickly since they weren't flavored. 


They played and tasted and played even more until it was a squishy, sticky mess, and so were they! My two year old even had fun holding up beads and telling me the colors.



They cleaned up, and I washed off the tapioca pearls for my little guy. He came back to them and had a great time scooping and pouring them in his now much cleaner sensory bin. Plus he worked more on naming the colors.


The tapioca pearls work great for messy or (somewhat) clean play, but the bad thing is they don't keep. I tried to store them for a couple days in a little water, but they just got sticky and gross!

They were perfect for our Edible Rainbow Bin though; even if making it means we are all stuck singing, "Rainbow colors for me and you!"


Bottom Ad [Post Page]